Pages

Thursday 7 February 2013

~Valentines Blogger~



Hello! And welcome to our first Guest Blogging Thursday!


Well, to kick start our Valentines Guest Blogging, I’d like to welcome Tami Veldura!


So Tami, tell us a bit about yourself –what genre you write and any work you currently have published:

The penname I go by is Tami Veldura. I’ve published an M/M Romance short story titled Closer Than Touch with Less Than Three Press and I’m currently working on several other stories. I publish a free serial M/M erotic romance (bdsm, D/s, nsfw) on my blog- a new section goes up every Monday. I’m also releasing a series of blogs about the path from the first idea all the way through publication (and afterward) every Thursday on my blog. In addition, I put together a monthly newsletter (M/M and Fantasy/SciFi focused) with an interview and excerpt from my work.
And I have a day job.

What inspired you to start writing?

Lisa Frank folders for school. The first time I remember writing anything I was copying the little paragraph about ponies or puppies or unicorns onto a single sheet of paper, I think I had three? I showed my flagrant plagiarism proudly to my mother who praised it and then asked me what happened next, spawning my first-ever foray into fanfiction. I haven’t looked back.

How did you come up with the title of your first book?

Titles can be awkward, for sure. I generally have a working title/words that I’ve labeled the book at some point in the brainstorming/drafting process. In the case of Closer I needed to title my email with the title of the book when I sent it to LT3 for consideration. I needed something psudo-romantic and, given that I expected it to be retitled, I didn’t put a whole lot of effort into it. Closer Than Touch sounded a little sappy but it didn’t matter, it was going to be retitled! ... and then it wasn’t. In retrospect it feels like a good title.

Is there a message in your first book that you want readers to grasp?

Don’t give up. In life or in love.

Aw a good message to get out there! How much of this book is realistic?

It’s science future- no manned space flights to mars but technology in the book isn’t commonplace either. I started from a science-informed position and extrapolated out to a plausible degree of future technology. The privately owned military company is also psudo-realistic. There are private contractors in the real world but I don’t know if Zodiac would ever function in real life without some serious government cash for support. As far as I can tell they’re not in the business of making money. I haven’t really resolved that... yet.

Are experiences based on someone you know, or events in your own life?

No, not really, but I ‘know’ far more fictitious people/places/events than real ones, so ... maybe? Everything is always based on or derived from something else, even if we’re not aware of the connection. I’m a fan of military stories so I wrote one that felt awesome.

Good stuff! What are your current projects?

Ask a small question, why don’t you. I actually have a running list of projects I send out in my monthly newsletter so let me fetch that... It’s more organized.

Spring Tide, Zodiac Forces (F/F): Editing, Round 2
Deadline: February 28th
LT3, If You're Reading This
 
Starsong (YA Fantasy): Editing
Self
 
Rayne (M/M): Drafting
SMP, On The Edge
 
Vamp/Wolf (M/M): Drafting
Deadline: April 30th
LT3, Proud 2B a Vamp
Second: May 30
SMP, Blood Embrace
 
Motocross (M/M): Drafting
LT3, Zodiac Forces
 
Under The Lights (M/?) Outlining
Deadline: October 31
SMP, Person Meets Person
 
3427H (M/M): Brainstorming
Deadline: September 30th
LT3, Private Call: Mech
 
Cleo (M/M): Brainstorming
LT3, Zodiac Forces
 
Living Ships (Science Fiction): Brainstorming
Self
 
Approaching Lightspeed (Steampunk/Science Fiction): Brainstorming
Self
 
Multi-Consciousness (M/M): Brainstorming
 
The Gods (M/M): Brainstorming

That’s A LOT of projects Tami! You must be very busy!
So, do you have a specific writing style?


Spartan, for sure. I’m a big fan of show don’t tell but I also fall into the habit of letting dialogue carry a scene so my description often turns up lacking. Something I do on my first editing pass is flesh out sensory detail anywhere possible. Inevitably my Beta Readers will ask for more description in key scenes so I usually turn to internal dialogue.

Oh how I envy your ability to ‘show not tell’ with ease!
Where can we find out more about you and your books?



Name one entity that you feel supported you outside of family members?

My good friend Shelton (http://sheltonkeysdunning.blogspot.com/) She and I get into so much trouble together. I’m a little further along on the ‘publish a story’ track which means she looks to me for support/advice. But in giving said support/advice to her I really need to be on top of practicing what I preach, so she may not know it, but she keeps me honest 

Do you see writing as a career?

For sure. It will take some time to become my main source of income, but that’s the goal.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

Expand on the ending. I’ve since received some great feedback on the ending that I really agree with. I’ve been trying to focus on that in my new short to make the resolution stronger.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

Actually finishing something, the sending-it-away feeling- that’s the most awesome thing in the world.

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Finish something. It’s really easy to get caught up in the newness of a great idea, and this advice doesn’t mean you shouldn’t cultivate those new ideas (I have an idea box for just such occasions) but pick a story you adore and focus on it. Get all the way to the end. Actually write ‘The end’ on it.
You’ll be amazed at the sense of accomplishment you’ll feel. Inevitably I’m so proud of myself I need to send an email to all my friends and announce my life on facebook, but I resist the urge to actually share the story until I can sit on it for a few weeks and go over it myself to edit things before my Beta Readers get their hands on it.

Great advice Tami!Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers?

Hi! I love to chat with people who’ve read my stories so drop me a line or stalk me on twitter, it’s all good.  

Awesome Tami! Now, since it’s coming up to Valentines this month, how about some questions centred around that? *grins*
How do you usually spend Valentine’s Day?

Video games. Seriously, my guy and I are all into Borderlands 2 at the moment so we’ll probably trade heart-shaped peanut butter cups and play games.

Haha, how cute!
What would be your ideal date? (What would you do? Where would you go?)


The above sounds great, actually. And my guy likes In and Out, so I might treat him to lunch/dinner.

He sounds easy to please! Do you often have dates like that?

Yes! Just last weekend, actually.

Ever had a terrible first date? If so, how?

Not so much. I’ve only ever dated three guys so I don’t have a big sample set to pick from.

Do you believe in love at first site?

I believe some people fall in love easily, so at first site? Sure.

Who was your first celebrity crush?

... does the Crocodile Hunter count? I didn’t actually want to marry him so much as be the one out there teaching/learning about wild animals, though.

What do you think is the most important value in a relationship?

Honesty. Which will lead to Trust, the second most important.

Good one Tami! And lastly, h
ow may readers contact you?

By twitter: tamiveldura https://twitter.com/tamiveldura

Thanks for being here with us today, it's been wonderful hearing more about what you do and your attitude as a writer.
I look forward to reading your short story ‘CloserThan Touch’! XD


And don't forget to check Tami's website -
http://www.tamiveldura.com !




~*~

No comments:

Post a Comment